Donna used an open-weave jute ribbon that gave some great texture. She just punched flowers out of lightweight cardstock and then painted them on the page.
I didn't have anything like the ribbon she used and held off starting for several days while I tried to figure out a substitute. I ended up buying a cheap knitted cream scarf at Walgreens (about $5) and cut out a couple of sections. It had a great pattern....that completely disappeared when I glued it to the page with gel medium. Once it's stuck, it's there for good so I just had to work with it. I actually like the texture I ended up with so it's all good. I used a couple different flower punches and colored my flowers with red and pink Dylusions spray inks and put buttons in the middles instead of charms.
Even though my pieces aren't looking much like Donna's at all, that's all part of the process. One of the best things about this class is the private Facebook page where all the participants can share their work and progress. It's absolutely amazing the variety of interpretations of each week's lessons. And it's a very warm and welcoming place without any snarkiness or criticism. That's not to say that every piece is worthy of hanging in a gallery - this is a class and everyone is at different skill levels. But it's the process and the sharing that really make this special and a lot of fun, too.


No comments:
Post a Comment